Impressively Light + Compact for Those Who Want Power, Performance and Portability.
The sun just broke the horizon, but your day began hours ago—the second you started your trusty Yamaha Portable. Maybe you’re skimming the marsh in a jon boat during duck season, pushing a sailboat ‘til the wind kicks up or hopping to the cuddy on a tender. Wherever the day takes you, these nimble, lightweight, efficient portables are up for the ride. Available in a range of horsepower from 20 all the way down to 2.5, these 1- or 2-cylinder dynamos provide big performance in streamlined designs.
Here’s why so many boaters carry Yamaha reliability with them, wherever they go:
Incredibly Light: Yamaha Portables are incredibly light, weighing as little as 37 pounds. Talk about punch you can pack.
Easy to Carry: Select models feature built-in front and rear carry handles for maximum portability. Plus, recent re-designs have made several of our portables, well, even more portable. The F9.9 is 12% lighter than previous designs, and we’ve trimmed 23 pounds from our F6.
Max Maneuverability: Our 5-Step Trim Adjustment and 3-Step Shallow Water Drive System (on select models) protects your propeller in skinny water, making these pintsized powerhouses extremely maneuverable and getting you where you need to go.
Fuel Efficiency: The smaller the motor, the less fuel it consumes, true. However, one of Yamaha’s portables actually made it into the Guinness Book of World Records for the most miles traveled on one gallon of gas, going 67.27 continuous statute miles.
Smart Innovation: Our Easy Oil Retention System allows the F6 and F4 to be stored on their sides or front grip without oil leakage. Our F15 and F20 designs feature a water-cooled fuel pump, boosting power and preventing warm weather starting issues like vapor lock.
Power and Performance Benefits
- Ultra-Low Emissions: Yamaha portables from F4 through F20 are California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) Three-Star Rated for Ultra-Low Emissions. All Yamaha portable outboards meet federal EPA requirements.
- Fuel Efficiency: Of course, small motors use less fuel, but the Yamaha F4 actually set a world record for fuel efficiency. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, an F4 traveled 67.27 continuous statute miles on one gallon of gas.
Reliability and Durability Benefits
- Propeller Protection: Yamaha’s Shallow Water Drive (standard on all tiller handle models except the F2.5) helps keep the propeller and lower unit out of harm’s way in shallow water.
- Corrosion Protection: Yamaha’s exclusive YDC-30 Alloy is one of the most corrosion-resistant base material in the industry. Used with Yamaha’s proprietary ACP-221 Paint Process, it provides an extra-tough barrier against corrosion. They’re both key components of our renowned Ultimate Corrosion Protection System (UCP-II™), which is standard on all Yamaha Portable four stroke outboards.
- Warranty Protection: All Yamaha four strokes are protected by our Three-Year Limited Warranty for pleasure use. Beyond that, Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) plans are available, for continued coverage after your three-year factory warranty expires.
Convenience and Control Benefits
- Max Maneuverability: 5-Step Trim Adjustment and 3-Step Shallow Water Drive System (on select models) protects your propeller in skinny water, makes these pintsized powerhouses extremely maneuverable and gets you where you need to go.
- Easy Storage: Yamaha’s F4 and F6 both feature a pressurized oiling system, our Easy Storage Oil Retention System. This means they can be stored on either side or on the front grip without fear of oil leakage.
- Comfortable Operation: The Tiller Handle features a dynamically balanced and dampened large twist-grip throttle, 180° steering and large F-N-R shift handle, for maximum comfort, convenience and control. (Available on F6 and F4.)
- Lightweight Portability: Yamaha portables feature SOHC (Single Overhead Camshaft) or OHV (Overhead Valve) configurations and weigh as little as 37 pounds (dry weight). Outboard power doesn’t get much more portable than this.
- Streamlined Intake Manifold: Standard
- Labyrinth Exhaust: Standard
- Long Span Mounting System: Standard
- Four Stroke Engine Design: Standard
- Oil Separator: Standard
- Streamlined Gearcase: Standard
- Overhead Valve (OHV) Design: Standard
- 2-Valves Per Cylinder: Standard
- Precise Carburetor Setting: Standard
- Built-in Auxiliary Priming Pump: Standard
- Dynamically Balanced Crankshaft: Standard
- 5-Step Anti-Corrosion Paint Process: Standard
- Stainless Steel Driveshaft, Prop Shaft, Shift Shaft and Steering Tube: Standard
- CDI Microcomputer: Standard
- Sacrificial Anodes: Standard
- Pressurized Lubrication: Standard
- Built-in Fuel Filter: Standard
- Splined Prop Shaft: Standard
- Thermostatic Temperature Control: Standard
- Dual Transom Clamps: Standard
- Shallow Water Drive: Standard
- Multiple Gripping Points: Standard
- 180-Degree Steering w/F-N-R Shifting: Standard
- Easy Storage Oil Retention System: Standard
- Standard Tiller Handle: Standard
- Easy Start Decompression Device: Standard
- Lubrication Check Window: Standard
- Dynamically Balanced Tiller Handle: Standard
- Lower Cowling Damper: Standard
- Built-In See-Through Fuel Tank: Standard
- Tilted Fuel Filler Opening: Standard
- Selectable External Fuel Tank: Optional
- Forward/Neutral/Reverse Shifting: Standard
- Built-In Fuel Tank: Standard
- Engine Type: One-Cylinder
- Displacement: 8.5 ci (139 cc)
- Bore x Stroke: 62 x 46 mm (2.44 x 1.81 in.)
- Prop Shaft Horsepower: 6 hp @ 5000 rpm
- Compression Ratio: 8.9:1
- Fuel/Induction System: OHV
- Exhaust: Above Propeller
- Intake: Carburetor
- Ignition System: CDI
- Spark Plug: CR6HSB-000-000
- Alternator Output: 6 Amp (Optional: Requires Charging Kit)
- Starting System: Manual
- Lubrication: Wet Sump
- Engine Oil Capacity: .6L (.63 qt.)
- Full Throttle RPM Range: 4500-5500
- Cooling: Water/Thermostatic Control
- Recommended Engine Oil: Yamalube® 4M (See owner's manual)
- Recommended Fuel: Regular Unleaded (Minimum Pump Octane 87)
- Recommended Fuel Filtration: Yamaha Mini 10-Micron Fuel/Water Separating Filter (external)
- Ethanol Blend Limit: 10% Maximum
- Gear Ratio: (27:13) 2.08:1
- Gear Shift: Forward, Neutral, Reverse
- Shaft Length: S=15 in.
- Degree of Tilt: 69 deg.
- Degree of Trim: 5 positions
- C.A.R.B. Rating: 3-Star
- Dry Weight: F6SMHA = 27 kg (60 lb.)
- Steering Angle (maximum): 90 deg. from center, either direction
- Warranty: 3-year Pleasure, 3-year Government, 1-year Commercial
- Spec Weight: 5